Easter Traditions: Seven Ways To Add Meaning To Your Family Celebration
Family traditions connect us to past and future generations. They provide meaning and connection, as well as a sense of ritual and comfort. And they can create - and help to preserve - some of life's most moving moments.
Easter traditions can help to usher in a season of love, rejuvenation, and abundance. Here are seven ideas for sharing the sweetness of this special season:
- Start a kindness wreath for your doorway. For the week of Easter, give each family member 10 or more ribbons in bright spring colors. Each time a family member reaches out to someone in kindness during the week, they simply tie another ribbon onto the wreath.
- Ask your children to make a special drawing or a collage that depicts what Easter means for them. After you display them during the Easter season, scan them or take a photo and record the artwork in a special journal or album for a treasured Easter keepsake.
- Create a Garden Journal. Cover a composition book with spring patterned papers or photos/clippings of your favorite flowers. Document the process of creating your family garden this year. Make sure to include photos of your family members digging in the dirt. Record their favorite flowers and their favorite part of working in the garden...and, of course, lots of journaling and flower pressings.
- Fill an Easter basket with cheerful messages, handmade cards, or simple gifts. Then leave the basket anonymously on a friend's doorstep.
- If you have young children, video- or audio-tape them singing a fun seasonal song. Tapes of "Here comes peter cottontail" and "Little Bunny Foo Foo" can make treasured mementos. Share the tapes with distant family and friends.
- When it's time for your Easter brunch or Easter dinner, give each guest a 6x6 sheet of cardstock and ask them to handwrite a couple of special messages for the holiday...perhaps ways they are feeling renewed or grateful in their lives. Snap a photo of each guest and create a quick and simple 6x6 mini-album as a keepsake featuring one page for each guest (with their photo and contribution.)
- Make some handmade Easter greeting cards to send to family and friends. Or renew friendships by hostessing a card-making party where each guest makes 5 to 10 friendship cards. Make a point to send out five cards this spring to people with whom you would like to rejuvenate a relationship.
This holiday, may you embrace and celebrate the beauty that comes into our lives through our family and friends. (And enjoy lots of chocolate!)
RELATED ARTICLESMother's Day Crafts
Make these quick and easy crafts with your children for Mother's day. These can be handmade for Mom or Grandma!Flower Pens for MomIs your mom always looking for a pen around the house, and can't find one? Well make this pen and she'll spot it right away!What You'll Need? Bic Pen (ball point)? silk flower? floral foam? low temp hot glue gun? floral tape? paint or markers? small notepaper or Post-It pads? small to medium sized terra cotta potHow To Do ItNote: Adult supervision is needed when using a glue gun.
Valentine's Day Ideas for Singles
Maybe your significant other is overseas in the military. Maybe you have suffered a recent divorce.
The Bloated Bar Mitzvah Celebration: 6 Ways to Take It Back
Bar Mitzvah celebrations have grown exponentially in size and scope in the past twenty years.That's great news for me; I derive much of the income I earn as a party entertainer from working at these events.
Youre How Old?!?
"Well, Happy Birthday! How old are you anyway?""Oh, I'm just 29 ? again."It's a harmless game, denying our age, right? We play sensitive about our age as we get older, as we get further away from birth and closer to death.
Wolves, Goats, Martyrs and War: a History of Valentines Day
Valentines Day is one of the most enigmatic of holidays, having appeared in many forms. But all "Valentine's Days" have drawn suspicion.
Making Gifts A Pleasure
As we reach the time of year when Christmas items start to appear in the stores, and thoughts of vacations start to wind down with the shortening daylight, it is a good time to think about gifts. Not only the gifts, though, but also the practise of giving.
Tis The Season For Love - and Stress!
The holidays are upon us and for many people this is the most stressful time of year. There is so much to do and not enough time to do it in, places to go, people to see, gifts to buy, food to prepare, and on and on and on.
Spend More Time With Your Family This Holiday Season: Host A Caroling Party
Too often we forgo entertaining because of the mere thought of all of the preparation that is involved. And more is not better.
Fathers Day Gift Ideas for Dad!
The History of Christmas Ornaments
History of OrnamentsIn A.D.
The Origin of the Christmas Tree
Have you ever wondered why we decorate a tree for Christmas? What sense does it make? We cut down a perfectly good tree, bring it in the house, decorate it with glass balls, twinkle lights, embarrassing arts and crafts from our youth and put a big star on top - why? No one knows for sure. But the Christmas tree does have a long, if not mythological, history.
The Perfect Birthday Present for that Little Girl (No Batteries Required)
The DilemmaAs a mom of a five-year-old girl, I have attended countless birthday parties in the past few years. With each event, comes the inevitable trip to the toy store to find an appropriate gift for the child of honor.
Christmas Tree Topper Ornaments
From my childhood memories, pride of place on the top of Christmas tree always went to a fairy dressed in white. Or was it an angel? No, I'm sure it was the Christmas fairy; and she was usually last to go on the tree apart from the tinsel.
Gift Shopping Tips for Tight Budgets
Have you seen the prices of greeting cards lately? It is hideous! Once you purchase the card and gift-wrap, your overall cost can easily increase by $10 to$15. If you are on a tight budget, this can be difficult as you spend more on the fluff and less on the actual gift.
You Better Not Lie, I'm Telling You Why
Santa Claus Is ComingHoliday season brings the perennial return of Santa Claus. According to traditional lore, St.
Say I Love You For Valentines Day
With Valentine's Day just around the corner, it's time to start thinking about the perfect gift for the one you love. Whether you are looking for something special on a tight budget or would simply like to add something special to another gift, there's no better way to express your love than by saying it in a variety of languages.
Find Great Halloween Costume Ideas! Have The Most Creative Costumes This Year
Usually, the hardest part about Halloween is finding the perfect costume and top accessories for your ghoulish creation. Well, now it doesn't have to be! With the countless, great resources available on the web, finding Halloween costume ideas for the adults, kids and the rest of the family will be the easy part! Now, you'll just have to figure out what everyone wants to dress up as!So where do you begin? Let us help you! Take the time to browse through our site for some great tips on creating the your favorite costumes.
What Is The Easter In Your Business?
Easter 2005 is coming, Sunday March 27, and Christians worldwide are warming up to celebrate the death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ, a great sacrifice for humanity.What about you and your business? Is there anything the market can celebrate about any great sacrifice you have made for your employees, customers, partners, colleagues, friends, regulators and other stakeholders? Or are you in business waiting for others to make sacrifices, and then you storm as an opportunist and reap from the pains of others?Many of us are like that.
A Christmas Tradition - Vintage Ornaments
Traditional hand-blown glass Christmas ornaments never seem to go out of style. There is something special about them: pulling them out year after year and smiling at the memories they bring back.