1. Knowledge is Power. Whatever the area of collecting - depression glass, blue and white pottery, silver, paperweights, toys or furniture of any period - there is a book to arm any collector for his or her next antiquing adventure. Look for pocket guides to slip in handbags during shopping excursions or more complete reference books for curling up by the fire. Prices start at $9.95.
2. Toys for Boys. A 1935 Dusenberg under the Christmas tree is sure to bring a smile to the face of any car enthusiast, even if it is a die-cast metal reproduction. These are popular for boys of all ages, as a desk objet for men or as bedroom décor for young boys. Prices start at $40.
3. Christmas Ornaments. An exquisite hand blown Christmas ornament becomes a keepsake gift. Beautiful reproductions and charming vintage ornaments are equally well received. Prices start at $8.
4. Knock. Knock. Attractive reproduction brass doorknockers crafted in Italy add elegance to any entrance. With styles to suit Arts & Crafts to Georgian to contemporary homes, there is one to complement any home. Prices start at $30.
5. Homemade Hostess Gifts. Antique stores are treasure troves of small dishes, teacups and plates in glass, ceramic or silver. All at affordable prices. Fill one up with your favourite candies, chocolates or home baking, wrap it in tissue paper, tie it with a bow and you have a one-of-a-kind homemade hostess gift. Prices starting at $4.
6. Wrap It Up. Vintage napkins, tea towels, crocheted doilies can take the place of wrapping paper for small gifts. Secured with a pretty ribbon, they are sure to delight anyone. Prices starting at $3.
7. Hook It on a Handbag Caddy. Ladies will love this hook designed to keep their handbags off the floor. It's a new and improved version of a style from days gone by. And it keeps pickpockets at bay, so ladies can enjoy a stress-free meal. Price is $34.50.
Martin Swinton owns Take-A-Boo Emporium located in Toronto, Canada. He does furniture restoration; caning and rushing repairs; appraisals and has teaches courses on antiques. Martin can be reached at http://www.takeaboo.com
RELATED ARTICLES5 Things Your Christmas Table Should Not Be Without
Christmas dinner probably the most elaborate and complex dinners you will have to prepare all year. Chances are there will be many friends and family members attending so you will want to make sure everything is just right.
Christmas Lights Add Sparkle To The Holidays
Electric Christmas lights have been around since the 1880's. It is no wonder they are still around and being enjoyed by so many.
Importance of Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving is the most important holiday of the year.Oh, sure, Christmas is grand, and I know it has many, many fans.
A Simple Little Holiday Plan
The Thanksgiving leftovers have all been eaten and the gift-buying season has shifted into high gear. Remain calm and prepare yourself for the most jam-packed month in the calendar year.
The Gift of Failure
During this Thanksgiving holiday, we are reminded to reflect on the bounty in our lives. Most of us have jobs, family, a place we call home and food on the table, and for these things and our ability to obtain them we should be grateful.
Every year I vow to make Christmas easier, simpler - less stressful.Have I ever? One year I tried forgetting Christmas here in the UK and spent it in the Canary Islands.
What Are And How To Use Free Ecard and Free Ecards
You can consider free ecards as being the same thing as normally greetings cards. The difference is that an ecard is an electronic card.
The Spirit of Fathers Day
Some time ago I received a gift from both of my children. It was spontaneous and had nothing to do with Father's day.
Experience Mothers Day In A Whole New Way
Mother's Day is the day when sons, daughters and husbands buy gifts and flowers to recognize the incredible work mom has done raising the children. But some moms are unknowingly cheating themselves out of the full experience of Mother's Day.
SALOME and HERODIAS, A Curious Mothers Day Story, Part 1 of 2 Parts
First, a disclaimer:This article requires information about John the Baptist, whose life and works and words are holy, divinely inspired, to Christians. The sources I've accessed are religious, historical, literary, exegetic, and anecdotal.
Mothers Day: 5 Gift Ideas Guaranteed To Make Any New Mom Happy
Sure, you can call it a Hallmark holiday. But don't be fooled: Mother's Day is serious business.
How to Overcome the Overwhelm of the Holiday Season (And Reduce Holiday Stress)
The Holiday Season can be a wonderful time of year, filled with lovely decorations, gift exchanges, visits with friends and family and delicious meals. But for many of us, the Holiday Season can also be quite overwhelming with all the added activities such as decorating our homes, selecting, buying, wrapping and exchanging gifts and hosting friends and family while we prepare multi-course elaborate meals! The question is, "What can we do to Overcome Overwhelm during the Holidays?"1.
Use H-O-L-L-Y to Beat Christmas Cooking Stress
What does holly, that untidy traditional greenery you just have to festoon your house with every year, have to do with not tearing your hair out before it's even Thanksgiving? Plenty. You can use H-O-L-L-Y to help you get organized.
Are You Truly Thankful For Everything?
Thanksgiving is the time of year when we stop and are thankful for all our blessings. Of course, we should be thankful every day of the year.
The Bloated Bar Mitzvah Celebration: 6 Ways to Take It Back
Bar Mitzvah celebrations have grown exponentially in size and scope in the past twenty years.That's great news for me; I derive much of the income I earn as a party entertainer from working at these events.
Valentines Day - A Guide for Men
Did you know that after Christmas, Valentine's Day is the biggest retail holiday? That means a variety of things for you the consumer, but mostly it means the market is saturated with a plethora of heart-shaped, cutesy, not so worth it products. I have a philosophy?one that is not always popular?but here it goes.
On Father's Day, we celebrate the guys in our lives. Not just our dads and the fathers to our children, but all the men who have made a positive impact on a child's life.
Losing Weight During The Holiday Season--Can It Be Done?
Thirteen years ago I became quite intrigued with theidea of LOSING WEIGHT DURING THE HOLIDAY SEASON. Evenknowing the chances of finding success with this ideawas highly slim I was nevertheless still intrigued.
Decorating for a Victorian Christmas
Berry Manor Inn owner, Cheryl Michaelsen wouldn't admit it, but with all the research she's done on Victorian tradition for the inn many consider her an expert, especially when it comes to celebrating a Victorian Christmas. Her Victorian-style inn offers the ideal backdrop to showcase venerated Victorian traditions throughout the year.
Easter Party Ideas
Easter marks the start of spring and is a sacred holiday for Christians throughout the world as it signifies when Jesus Christ was resurrected from the grave to live again. But where did the Easter bunny and eggs fit into the Easter tradition?The rabbit and eggs were actually symbols of fertility, immortality and new life to commemorate Christ's resurrection.