10 Ways to Keep Your Expectations From Making You Crazy This Christmas
Christmas is a wonderful time! Everyone is full of good cheer, the milk of human kindness and 20 pounds of candy. All gifts are given with love, are exactly the right size, are exactly the right color, or exactly the right thing for exactly the price you could afford. Right?
Well, if YOUR Christmas seems to fall short every year, here are some ways to keep your sanity and enjoy the unexpected joys that the season brings.
1. News Flash! You are not perfect! Nor is your family! Give up the myth that they should be!
2. Don't make the season complicated! Simplify! While elaborate decorations may appeal to your decorating ego, putting them up takes time and energy that may be best spent elsewhere this Christmas.
3. Everything doesn't have to be homemade. Pies, cakes and cookies are perfectly acceptable if they are bought at a bakery. And your children just might celebrate if you decide not to make that knitted scarf this year!
4. Relax. Take time out from the hustle and bustle to just sit with a cup of tea or cocoa and read. Or take a long hot bath. If you take some time for yourself, you will be better able to cope with the holiday chaos.
5. Let other people pitch in. You are not the only one who can do Christmas! Ask someone to do tasks you usually do, such as make the eggnog or cookies. And then LET THEM DO IT - even if they don't do it just the way you want! Don't constantly look over their shoulder.
6. Don't make the season an ordeal for your children by expecting perfect behavior. Children can easily be overloaded with the food, sights, expectations and social whirlwind of the season. Again, simplify for their sake - and yours!
7. If you can afford to hire a cleaning service before company comes for Christmas, do it! Give it to yourself as a Christmas present! You will enjoy the season more because you won't be worn out from scrubbing that tile with a toothbrush!
8. If you can't afford to pay cash for a gift, wait until next year to buy it. Save for the gift in the meantime. The short term thrill of buying the gift will be more than overpowered by the struggle to pay it off months into the new year.
9. Get out of the house and walk when you begin to feel stress. It will help you calm down and keep off those extra pounds. And it will give your family a break from you!
10. Don't do guilt - to yourself and others. Don't use your expectations of the season as a weapon against your friends and family. Enjoy what comes this season. It may not be what you expected - it may be better!
And remember - love doesn't come wrapped in paper, or tied with a bow. You can't get it for $19.95 if you call now or for two easy payments of only? you name the price. But love is but in the corners of a small child's smile, the twinkle of a father's eye or the drape of an arm across your shoulder. If you are expecting something else, you just might fail to recognize it! How crazy!
About The Author
Pamela Cole Harris is an editor and writer with 35 years experience. Visit her website, http://www.homeandgardenmakeover.com, for her unique view of home decorating and remodeling (and a free monthly newsletter!). Or for original content unique to your website, written especially for your keywords and your audience, visit http://www.pamelacoleharris.com.
RELATED ARTICLESThe Spirit of Fathers Day
Some time ago I received a gift from both of my children. It was spontaneous and had nothing to do with Father's day.
Kids Birthdays - How to Throw an Unforgettable Kids Birthday Party
Kids take their birthdays very seriously, and are extremely disappointed if their birthday parties are anything short of spectacular. Throwing an unforgettable kids birthday party can sometimes seem like a task better suited for a professional event planner.
How Santa Makes Out His Christmas List
How Does Santa Make Out His List?I'll let you in on a secret: I know Santa Claus. And I received a letter from him with his Christmas list.
Mothers Day: 5 Gift Ideas Guaranteed To Make Any New Mom Happy
Sure, you can call it a Hallmark holiday. But don't be fooled: Mother's Day is serious business.
2 Quick and Easy Halloween Crafts
Making Halloween crafts can really get you into a festive mood for this spooky holiday. Here are 2 fun and easy craft ideas:Tin Can LanternsDid you know that you can easily create Halloween lanterns out of those old tin cans? Use cans that have a smooth surface to accurately display your designs.
EASTER: The Bunny and The Egg
Ever wonder why there's an "Easter Bunny"? Everwonder why he brings eggs? And dyed ones at that!The Rabbit and the Hare, because of their frequentmultiple births, are long time symbols of fertility.According to pre-Christian fertility lore, long before Jesus Christ was born, the Easter Bunny, akathe Easter Hare, represented the new life duringthe Spring season.
Thats the Christmas Spirit
Last Christmas, Uncle Albert promised his neighbor, Wilson, to find a way to keep the Christmas spirit alive all year. You know, just like Wilson and everybody else wishes people each year.
Little Helpers in the Holiday Kitchen
The holiday season is a wonderful opportunity to allow your children to help with the meal preparation and offers quality time together as a family. This is a way to keep your children occupied, but is also a fun, educational activity that incorporates a range of skills and senses, such as counting, measuring, reading, touching, listening, planning, smelling, tasting, and creativity.
Gods Gift to You... Mom
Have you ever thought what you would have done without your Mother? Then why is it Mom's are usually the low woman on the totem pole? God thought enough of us to give us an earthly Guardian Angel and so many times, more than we could truthfully count this is the person we lash out at the most with the excuse it's OK it's only Mom. Thinking of the old cliché "we always hurt the one we the love the most" truly believing that all is forgiven.
A Harvest Halloween
To take advantage of the last days of autumn, we planned an outdoor Halloween party at our family farm. This gave us an opportunity to bring our friends together in an informal setting before the hectic holiday season.
How To Choose The Hotel Thats Right For You
Getting the right hotel to spend one~s vacation at is one of the most difficult and costly parts of planning the vacation. It is really difficult if you have never visited the city before and do not know it, or if you are going on vacation during the major tourist season.
Making Mom Happy on Mothers Day
Mothers day is May 8th this year, are you ready? Are you in need of an idea for how to treat mom on Mothers Day that will not break your budget? How about indulging mom with a delightful home cooked brunch and a special tea pot for her to take home at the end of the day.Making moms eyes sparkle with a beautifully set table is as easy as pulling out that lacey table cloth and placing a vase of fresh flowers in the center for her to enjoy.
Birthday Gift Ideas
Birthday celebrations date back as far as biblical times, when celebrations among Pharaohs and other significant individuals have been mentioned. There is even some evidence to suggest that in pagan cultures people feared that evil spirits lurked about an individual on their birthday because they tended to become more malicious around important events in one's life.
Cheap Christmas Gift Ideas
Now that the biggest shopping season of the year is in full swing it might be a good time to create a holiday budget. I'm sure there are lots of names on your list, but hopefully you can find gifts that won't put a big dent in your pocketbook.
Holiday Tips For Stepfamilies
Holiday Tips For Stepfamilies: Let Go Of The "Brady Bunch" Fantasy!When my co-author--Bill Merkel Ph.D.
Christmas Shopping for a New Love
Christmas is a magical time of year, especially for those of us paired off and in love. If you are in a new relationship, however, Christmas can be a bit unnerving.
Wolves, Goats, Martyrs and War: a History of Valentines Day
Valentines Day is one of the most enigmatic of holidays, having appeared in many forms. But all "Valentine's Days" have drawn suspicion.
How to Reduce Your Stress this Christmas
In theory Christmas is a time that is filled with joy and celebration. A joyous holiday when you get together with loved ones and catch up, exchange gifts and generally have a good time.
Valentine's Day Ideas for Singles
Maybe your significant other is overseas in the military. Maybe you have suffered a recent divorce.
Top 5 Ways for an ADD Adult to Have a Happy Holiday
Holidays have the potential to send an adult with Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) into overload. Too many details to plan, kids to manage, and family to cope with can turn a good day into a stressful one.