- Christmas is responsible for more waste and consumption than any other holiday. North American's trash increases by 25% over Christmas - which equates to 25 million extra tons of garbage going to the landfill. By recognizing the incredible waste that is generated the urgency to do something becomes apparent. A truly useful or environment friendly gift is a better ecological choice. Here is a brief list of ideas to inspire you.
- For the homeowner - thermostat control that automatically turns the heat down at night. A low flow shower head attachment. A draft cozy (placed in front of doors to prevent drafts) and tubes of caulking or weather stripping. Dimmer switches or compact fluorescent bulbs. Hot water tank and hot water pipe insulation kits.
- For the gardener - subscription to an organic gardening magazine or a membership to a seed organization. Bird, bat and butterfly houses, baths and feeders - or the patterns to build them. A composting worm bin or a membership with an environmental group.
- Tickets to a performance, restaurant gift certificates or services such as lawn care, diaper, cleaning, music lessons, exercise or dance classes, tune-up or tire rotation services - all support local business.
- Dehydrated, canned or preserved foods make excellent gifts. Frozen dishes are treasured by those that find cooking tasks cumbersome.
- Brazil or cashew nuts as they promote a living tropical rainforest.
- Books (i.e. Trash Talk).
- A reusable coffee filter and whole organic coffee beans.
- If you choose to purchase electronics, consider those powered by solar or rechargeable batteries.
- For holiday photo memories using a digital camera and getting pictures put on CD's reduces chemicals, paper and cost. Choosing 36 exposure film rolls reduces packaging and waste.
- Consider a live tree. At the end of the season, donate it to individuals, the city, schools or parks. Plant it in your own yard for privacy, shade or erosion control.
-- Written by Dave and Lillian Brummet based on the concept of their new book Trash Talk, a guide that offers useful solutions to reduce waste and better manage resources. http://www.sunshinecable.com/~drumit
RELATED ARTICLESGift Giving During Thanksgiving Adds That Special Touch
Many of us believe Christmas is one of the most celebrated holidays, right? Actually, one of the most notable occasions is Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is surprisingly a widely celebrated holiday that crosses over many nationalities and religions.
The Evolution of Christmas Ornaments
Things have come a long way since a Christmas ornament was likely to be just a ball hung by the window, or later on a Christmas tree.Historians believe that this original Christmas decoration descended from a witch ball.
12 Things That Make Life Worthwhile!
Happy New Year! Around the world, this is a time of renewal, celebration of new opportunities, and great optimism. Please accept our best wishes for a year of peace, joy, and success.
What Causes Holiday Stress?
The holidays are supposed to be a time of celebration when friends and families get together to share food, fun, gifts, and love. They are supposed to be a time of giving, caring and connection when we celebrate important and meaningful events.
Valentines Day Rapport
How to develop and heighten rapport on Valentines Day beyond your wildest dreams!With Valentines day on the doorstep for another year here is way of enhancing those romantic occasions. In thinking about something pertinent to Valentines, I thought I would write about a topic that fascinates me; developing rapport.
Planning a Spectacular Christmas Party
The holiday season is typically filled with large fancy parties, small intimate gatherings, and extravagant dinner parties. Planning your own Christmas party can seem like you're competing with hundreds of other festive events during this time, but by adding special touches to every aspect of your party, its sure to be a success.
10 Reasons Santas Broke This Year
1. Santa Spends More Than He MakesSanta's paychecks are nothing to sneeze at, but he stays focused on his next raise.
10 Tips for More Meaningful Holidays
No matter how many lists you make, cards you send, gifts you buy, or packages you wrap, there will be things you intended to do this holiday season that won't get done. If you do manage to get everything done, but you're too tired to enjoy the season, everyone suffers.
Ever since my girls were little, I've tried to teach them patience. I well remember getting them to count to ten when we had to wait for something.
Can you believe that Thanksgiving is only a few weeks away? What does Thanksgiving mean to you? For many of us it means turkey, dressing, pies and all the other goodies that go along with it. It also means family.
Valentines Day Flowers
Flowers & Valentine's Day go hand in hand. Your Valentine will be so thrilled to receive a beautiful flower arrangement! Of course, Roses are known for their association with love.
Event Planning 101
One of the tools I use as a professional organizer are countdowns.What exactly is a countdown? To put it simply, anytime a special event, party, or holiday is anticipated (okay maybe dreaded :), create a MASTER list of EVERYTHING you need to do.
Fathers Day Gift Guide
Fathers Day is the one day of the year when you can really show your dad how much he means to you.Dads spend 364 days of the year looking after you so its only right that you spoil them rotten one day of the yearFathers and GiftsWhilst most fathers are notoriously difficult to buy gifts for a bit of thought can produce some great gift ideas.
Valentine Gifts From The Heart
One of my fondest childhood memories is of my mother helping me make a Valentine's box to take to school. We pulled out white paste, an old shoebox, scraps of doilies, and construction paper.
Wolves, Goats, Martyrs and War: a History of Valentines Day
Valentines Day is one of the most enigmatic of holidays, having appeared in many forms. But all "Valentine's Days" have drawn suspicion.
10 Great Gift Ideas for Fathers Day
What do you get for the man who has always been there for you? You want it to be something special, something he hasn't gotten before, something that he will cherish. It cannot be the tired old gift of after shave lotion or soap on a rope.
Christmas Tree Topper Ornaments
From my childhood memories, pride of place on the top of Christmas tree always went to a fairy dressed in white. Or was it an angel? No, I'm sure it was the Christmas fairy; and she was usually last to go on the tree apart from the tinsel.
The History And Origin Of Valentines Day
The oldest Valentine card still in existence was sent in 1415 by Charles Duke of Orleans, at the time a prisoner in the Tower of London, to his wife. The Duke's Valentine's card is now preserved and displayed in the British Museum.
Tips for Planning an Egg-stra Special Easter Party
Bunnies & chicks, colourful eggs, and the hunt for hidden chocolate. It's no wonder kids await the arrival of Easter with such eager anticipation.
Free Christian Ecard and Christian Ecards
A free Christian ecard is comprised of inspirational quotes, musical greetings, messages of love, get well soon, and a plethora of other familiar greeting card options free of charge. Family and holiday Christian ecards are also available.