"This year will be different. I vow I won't get stressed out over presents, parties, cards, Christmas plays, putting up the tree and decorating, and all the many other tasks of the season. I will remember the true meaning of Christmas."
Do you find that all the Christmas chores steal your joy?
"For unto us a child is born" - Aahh the miracle of birth. The true miracle of our Savior's birth. As Christian mothers we are doubly blessed to celebrate Christmas. We know the joy and pain of childbirth. We can imagine an exhausted Mary looking at her truly perfect, holy baby.
How can we recapture the joy and the simplicity of the first Christmas?
Following are some suggestions for making this the "Perfect" Christmas
1. Decide how you want your family to experience the true meaning of Christmas. Ex. Will you help another family with presents? Our family now has a tradition of doing Christmas boxes for Samaritan's Purse. Our children love picking out items for the box and praying for the child who receives their box.
2. Prioritize what is most important to you. Maybe you can't do it all. You may choose not to send Christmas cards, but do a New Years note.
3. Decide what parties you can and cannot attend. Sometimes as a family we may rarely be home in December. So much for family time.
4. If you have young children, remember how important, normal routine and sleep schedule are for younger children and you. Taking a cranky toddler shopping is not a good experience for anyone.
5. Decide what traditions you want for your own nuclear family. Sometimes we are so busy going to extended families' homes we don't get to start our own family traditions. Try to have a leisurely Christmas morning with children enjoying their toys before rushing off to anywhere.
6. Start a tradition of celebrating Jesus birthday. Ex. Happy Birthday Jesus cake, reading the Christmas story before opening presents, or children having their own child size Nativity set to play with and tell the Christmas story.
7. Set a limit on Christmas spending and stick to it. Don't celebrate Jesus' birth by being in debt in January.
8. Take time to pray and think about the most precious gift of all. Often our quiet times are the first to go when we get so busy. Using an advent calendar with children will also help them focus on the true meaning of Christmas.
9. Be kind to yourself. You may not be able to do everything like your Mom did. Perhaps you can make slice-and-bake cookies with your children instead of homemade cookie dough. Your children will remember the fun of decorating cookies, not who made the cookie dough.
10. Remember that you are not superwoman and you can't do it all. Sit down with your husband and decide who can do what on your list. Children can help put stamps on Christmas cards. Be kind to yourself and rest in our Savior's loving arms.
I don't know if you or I will have the "Perfect" Christmas, but we can make a conscious effort to focus on our Lord. Things will go wrong and we will get stressed, but we need to keep our eyes on Him. We need to show and teach our children that Christmas is not about Santa and receiving gifts. Christmas is about the ultimate gift that we can never repay.
So, I wish you a "Perfect" Christmas with Christ' birth as your focus, and that you would be kind to yourself. Set reasonable expectations for yourself and experience the true joy of Christmas.
Kimberly M. Chastain, MS, LMFT is the Christian Working Mom Coach and a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist who specializes in helping Christian women make the most of their lives. She is the author of the on-line course, "I Can't Say No" and Pearls of Encouragement for Christian Working Moms, a free e-book. If you suffer from "I Can't Say 'No" Syndrome, visit Kimberly's site today for the details on an exciting email course that's sure to set you free! http://www.christianworkingmom.com/online.htm.The Text Information Box above MUST be included for reprint privileges. You may reprint this article in it's entirety with the attached text box.
RELATED ARTICLESGods Gift to You... Mom
Have you ever thought what you would have done without your Mother? Then why is it Mom's are usually the low woman on the totem pole? God thought enough of us to give us an earthly Guardian Angel and so many times, more than we could truthfully count this is the person we lash out at the most with the excuse it's OK it's only Mom. Thinking of the old cliché "we always hurt the one we the love the most" truly believing that all is forgiven.
Decorating for a Victorian Christmas
Berry Manor Inn owner, Cheryl Michaelsen wouldn't admit it, but with all the research she's done on Victorian tradition for the inn many consider her an expert, especially when it comes to celebrating a Victorian Christmas. Her Victorian-style inn offers the ideal backdrop to showcase venerated Victorian traditions throughout the year.
Making the Holidays More Meaningful
Have the holidays become too commercial for you? Are you feeling empty and unfulfilled during this time of the year? This year by making some simple changes you and your children can truly make the holidays more meaningful.Teach gratitude during the holidays:Gratitude should not only be for the material presents but for the little blessings in their lives.
Top 25 Thanksgiving Quotations
"It is therefore recommended ..
Valentines Day! The Sweet and Romantic Holiday
When I think of Valentines Day I think of Chocolates and Flowers. Others might think of a more romantic subject too.
10 Stress Free Tips to Pamper Mom This Mothers Day
Mothers Day is the day we set aside each year to show appreciation to our own mother and to the mothers in our lives that we love. Traditionally Mothers Day is the big "Flowers and Chocolate" day.
The Spirit of Fathers Day
Some time ago I received a gift from both of my children. It was spontaneous and had nothing to do with Father's day.
Mothers Day: 5 Gift Ideas Guaranteed To Make Any New Mom Happy
Sure, you can call it a Hallmark holiday. But don't be fooled: Mother's Day is serious business.
Tips For Singles on Surviving (And Enjoying) The Holidays
Here you are, facing the holiday season alone. Have you been thinking about?*how alone and lonely you feel*excuses you can give family members as to why you can't come this year*what friends may be available to spend those long days with*how another year has passed and you are (still) single*how unfair it is that everyone else seems so happy and connected*how you will handle the office holiday party- single, take a friend, not attend*going to a far away (tropical?) place to escape it all*hiding out, alone, in your own homeIf these thoughts sound familiar it is probably time to reflect on your feelings regarding this holiday season.
Find Your Favorite Swashbuckling Pirate Costume!
"Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me!" If you have seen the movie Pirates of the Caribbean, you'll remember this song! Now you're looking for a great pirate costume?well, you've come to the right place! Transform yourself into a famous swashbuckling pirate on Halloween night, and become the life of the party!This is your night to go all out! Become the character in all senses-walk, talk, and look the role! You can practice on your pirate speak, but now it's time to get your pirate accessories taken care of.On this site, you can find a wide variety of pirate costumes and accessories! Get your eyepatch, your wig, your vest, a hat or a bandana, a hook, a sword, everything your heart desires to create the perfect buccaneer look! And don't forget the earring, or the parrot on your shoulder!Complete your pirate theme! The best thing about being a pirate for Halloween is that you can play the part of a friendly or evil pirate.
Jewelry As A Father's Day Gift
It is widely known that many men enjoy fine jewelry. So, why not present Dad with a gift of jewelry this Father's Day.
Some Valuable Steps On Applying Clown Makeup! Seriously, Were Not Clowning Around Here
Who doesn't love being a clown? It's a great costume idea for both adults and children. It looks like a lot of work to doclown makeup, but it's actually quite easy.
Gift of the Month Clubs: The Lazy Mans Guide to Gift Giving
If you are like me and are a very lousy shopper and always end up getting everyone the wrong gift at Christmas time, think about a Gift-of-the-Month Club. G.
Unique Gift Ideas for the Holiday Season! Go Digital!
Instead of scouring the mall for gifts this holiday season why not consider using your cherished photos to create a unique personalized gift for family and friends?There are so many ways now, made easy with online sites and programs, to create unique personal gifts using your digital photos. Photo Books offer a way of creating a high quality photo album, book bound with text and artwork options.
How to Overcome the Overwhelm of the Holiday Season (And Reduce Holiday Stress)
The Holiday Season can be a wonderful time of year, filled with lovely decorations, gift exchanges, visits with friends and family and delicious meals. But for many of us, the Holiday Season can also be quite overwhelming with all the added activities such as decorating our homes, selecting, buying, wrapping and exchanging gifts and hosting friends and family while we prepare multi-course elaborate meals! The question is, "What can we do to Overcome Overwhelm during the Holidays?"1.
I Just Love It!
"I Just Love It!"You know the scenario. You're sitting at the family Christmas gathering and your ten-year-old opens one of Aunt Martha's itchy homemade sweaters.
A Harvest Halloween
To take advantage of the last days of autumn, we planned an outdoor Halloween party at our family farm. This gave us an opportunity to bring our friends together in an informal setting before the hectic holiday season.
Aran... Where the Sweaters Come From
Aran Sweaters.The Aran sweater takes its name from the islands from where it originated, untold generations ago.
Seven Valentine's Day Tips for Spouses in "Less-Than-Perfect" Marriages
Valentine's Day can be a depressing day when you're in an unhappy or shaky marriage. In every store or advertisement you see romantic cards, heart-shaped boxes of candy, or select jewelry for the special lover's day.
Tis The Season
I was listening to one of my favorite radio talk programs today. The topic of the hour was "do you feel burdened by Christmas?" Much to my amazement the host, and the majority of his guests, spent the better part of an hour whining and moaning about the burdensome nature of the holiday season.