|Crafts & Hobbies Information|
17 Tips For Getting Balloons to Last Longer in Hot Weather
In warm weather, latex balloons will typically only last outside for a day. As you know, sun, wind and heat will biodegrade the latex. With that said, however, there are tricks you can do to raise your odds of getting them to last more than a day outside.
1) Use only high quality balloons like Qualatex. I've also heard that some people have used Bellatex and Tilly balloons with some success. Quality makes a huge difference.
2) Avoid using latex balloons whenever possible. After a few days outside, we have seen them completely disintegrate when touched.
3) Qualatex' Polyurethane Duo balloons are designed for outdoor use. They will last longer and look better for extended outdoor use than any latex or foil balloon. They are a bit more pricey but can really take away the headache of shrinking and disintegrating balloons. For larger Duo balloons like 18", it may be cost effective to rent them. The Duo balloons can also be used to leverage small latex balloons. Underinflate your smaller latex balloons and use the lift power of the big balloon to raise them.
4) Always underinflate to allow balloons to expand when absorbing heat. We've found the method that works best is to over-inflate the balloon and then release air until the balloon is slightly underinflated. This helps the balloon to breathe and expand more easily, and it is not as brittle. Underinflating does little good unless you overinflate first.
5) Use balloons two sizes larger than you would normally use.
6) Inflating balloons with the same temperature air as they will encounter outdoors can actually help to retain their shape better.
7) Helium does not work well outdoors in the heat. If you need to use helium-filled latex, try to use large balloons like 24" and inflate to only around 16". Over- inflate with air first, release the air and then re-inflate with helium. You don't want to waste your helium when you pre-inflate.
8) After your balloons are inflated, consider applying a product called "Balloon Shine." It can protect your latex balloons from the sun's UV rays. It's best to experiment with this days before to see if it will work.
9) While Hi-Float is used to make balloons float longer, it is not generally meant for outside use. If you want your balloons to float longer outside, you should plan on doing daily touch-up work to your balloon arrangements. Be sure to include this in your budget.
10) Balloons simply will not last outdoors overnight. As the cold air shrinks the balloons and then they expand in the sun the next day, they will pop like crazy. This can be avoided by simply bringing all balloons indoors in the evening.
11) Use white balloons as much as possible. They reflect the sun and fade less.
12) Avoid darker balloons. They will absorb heat and pop faster. If you need darker colors in your balloon decor, use ribbons to accent in a darker color.
13) Keep in mind that extreme heat speeds up the balloon leakage process. So, in temperatures close to 100 degrees, the helium will escape much faster, drastically reducing float time. If you can find a way to shade balloons, it can slow the process, somewhat.
14) Do not use water to cool down balloons. As the water dries on the latex, it becomes slightly sticky. Balloons can stick together causing them to pop as balloons they expand in the heat.
15) Mylar foil balloons last longer outdoors than latex. Just allow for normal expansion and shrinkage. The downside is that in the hot sun the foil will not hold its color or sheen. There will be a noticable difference by the end of the day.
16) Whenever possible, use some kind of framework to give your balloon decor structure that can withstand wind and heat. This can also be helpful for helium-filled balloons that will lose float time in the heat.
17) We've found that if balloons are going to pop in the heat and sun, the will usually do so within the first hour. So, you'll have a pretty good indication of whether it will work if you set up early.
While it can be difficult to do balloon decor outdoors in the heat, it is certainly not impossible. Just use the above tips to greatly improve your odds.
Passionate about advertising balloons, Kathryn Parisse is editor of The Balloon Newsletter. Subscribe and get answers to all your balloon decor, twisting, and advertising questions at aBalloonaDay.com.
A Few Tips About Comic Book Bags
We store comics to keep them valuable. Air pollution, ultra violet light, dirt and oil from fingers as well as rough handling all contribute to the deterioration of a comic.
Hollywood Gets Crafty - Knitting And Crocheting Not Just For Grandma Anymore
Sometimes it's hard to imagine that the stars who shine so brightly on cinematic screens are people just like the rest of us. We often think that their lives are so much more interesting and exciting than our own and that we have little or nothing in common with the Hollywood crowd.
Working With Leather
This can be as simple & basic Or advanced & professional.There are many books, booklets, pamphlets, reprints, even articles describing how to assemble a simple article cut from a basic design which is purchased as a kit from a supplier.
A Brief History Of Reverse Painting On Glass
Reverse painting on glass has been a form of art expression since extremely ancient times. It is difficult to precisely date a number of much more ancient artworks.
Woodworking Tools: Right Selection And Care Will Save You Money, Part 2
Woodworking: Tools Of The Trade, Part 2 - Tools For CuttingA civilization's maturity and intelligence is judged, in part, by the diversity and sophistication of its tools. When it comes to woodworking, the human race is quite advanced.
Choosing The Correct Comic Book Storage Box
Most Comic Book Storage Boxes are super strong and come with sturdy well-fitting lids and handle holes that can be left in the closed position for storing or pushed open for carrying. They are properly sized to hold a comic in a bag with a backing board.
Introduction to Hobby Metal Casting for the Practical Home Mechanic - Engineer
Your enjoyment will start right from the moment you start to build the simple equipment required. It is possible to create amazing things in metal with a home foundry.
What Is An Un-circulated Coin?
You may have heard the terms proof coin and un-circulated coin, but what's the difference between these two? To understand the difference between a proof and un-circulated coin, let's first answer the question, "What is an un-circulated coin?"Un-circulated means a coin has not had any wear, such as the wear a coin might experience when it is used in commerce. Handling a coin, as well as improperly storing a coin, can result in wear on the surface of the coin.
The Wonderful Art of Bonsai
The potential for enjoyment of Bonsai trees is enormous. These are the dwarf-sized trees that have been developed in the Asian countries of China and Japan for many hundreds of years.
Personally, I have become fascinated with gemstones (precious and semi-precious stones). I am amazed at the array of colors and properties of these little treasures found in the earth.
Are You Making Money At Craft Shows?
If you are involved in the crafts business, and are profitable, you are among the rare breed who have successfully combined art with business. If, however, you still have yet to show a profit (or enough profit) after a show, this article may get you going in the right direction.
Mini Rc Cars
Did your heart ever palpitate for fast driving? Did you ever imagine your hands controlling an extremely speedy car? I f so, then you should definitely experience the gravity and true charm of mini RC cars.Mini RC cars have climbed up to the top position in the chartbusters of favorite pastimes or hobbies.
Tracing Your Family History
Let me say straight away that tracing your family ancestry is a great hobby but very addictive, so unless you want to get well and truly hooked, don't start.When I travel around the country to Family History Fairs, I am amazed at the number of people who say quite cheerfully, "family history is so easy, I did mine in half an hour on the internet.
Kids Crafts: Balloons, Bubbles & Balls #1
Craft: Colored Bubbles Activities: Flyswatter Bubbles, Cotton Ball Pickup, Balloon Water Fun Snack: Chewy Popcorn Balls Reading Selection: The Twenty-One Balloons by William Pene du BoisCRAFT: Colored BubblesNeed: dishwashing detergentfood coloring or washable painta strawpaper shallow panDirections: Mix about 1/2 dishwashing detergent, and 1/3 of water in a shallow pan(cold or hot)mix any kind of food coloring until you get the ideal color you want. If you use paint, make sure it is washable.
Make Your Own Lampshades
When redecorating your room, you may be faced with looking for new lampshades (or perhaps a lampshade you currently have has gotten damaged). So why not make your own!If your lamp currently has a lampshade on it, half of the battle is already won! You have a base to start building your new shade.
It is Possible to Create All Kinds of Items with Hobby Metal Casting
Hobby Metal Casting enables the home metal craft worker to createuseful products to use around the: -HOME-WORKSHOP-GARDEN or WORKPLACE- Or turn your skills into cash.Yes,you could also make your own unique products for next to nothing to sell at markets, direct mail, or on the internet etc for big profits.
Picture Frame Crafts For Your Kids Party
One of the most popular party favors is a framed picture of the party guest taken at your kids party. He or she could be showing off a silly hat or party costume, performing an outrageous party game stunt, or wearing a face full of frosting and ice cream.
Simple, and Stylish Wedding Reception Centerpiece: Craft Project
This simple, yet elegant table centerpiece is a great way to make a fancy "to do" at each table, without breaking the bank.This is so easy, even a child can do it! I had my 8 year old son help me.
How to Make Personalized Candle Gifts From Ordinary Candles
If you are looking for a fun gift to make for any occasion, then personalized candle making may be something you would like to consider. There are many ways to make personalized candles, depending on how much time and money you are willing to spend.
Embroidery Designs Sewing
Denim is a twill weave and runs diagonally and any diagonal weave is difficult to control, whether you are attempting construction sewing or machine embroidery. Twills are designed to give the wearer ultimate wearing comfort by the natural "give" it has.
|Hobbies and Craft home | Hobbies and Crafts site map | FEATURED Our Candy Wrapper Software|
|© 2002 - 2006 Wrapcandy.com All rights reserved|