Author Topic: Candy Buffet advice/opinions  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Tammy Hamrick

• Wrapcandy Member
  • Disabled Combat Veteran - Proud to have served!
Candy Buffet advice/opinions
« on: February 02, 2010, 10:53:08 AM »
Hello!

I am planning on doing a candy buffet/candy bar for my son's Eagle Court of Honor this month and was hoping those that have done them could give me some advice!  ;D

I have read through everything I could find on here regarding candy buffet and have read several sites on the internet, but was not able to find the answer to a few questions I had:

*what size scoop do you use? (2 oz, 5 oz, etc)
*what size bags do you use? (is 1/2 lb/8 oz enough, too much??)
*what are some of the candies you've used? (I know this is one of the most expensive parts of this venture, but we are trying to keep the cost down and still have it look nice)
*what candies do you wrap?  (I want to be able to make some things with his picture, etc...but the only thing I can think of for the buffet is 'mint books' and minis)

Whatever other advice you could offer would be great!  I plan on taking lots of pictures, so will post some once everything is done.

thank you!
tammy

Offline Cynthia Beissel

• Wrapcandy Member
  • aMember user
Re: Candy Buffet advice/opinions
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 12:03:59 PM »
I did a candy buffet for my daughter's sweet 16 party.  Its always hard to judge amount.  I think there is a site that discusses the amount per person.  Most of the things I did were wrapped.  I did have MM's in the colors of her party.  I had kisses, minis, regular bars, air heads, nuggets, tic tacs, lifesavers, mint books and rolos I believe.  We also had a huge cake that matched as well.  I think base your amounts and what candy you provide on your budget at least partly.  Set an amount you're willing to spend and then find the candy to fit in that budget.  I wanted to things that I could wrap so I could take pictures for my website and future business.  So I spent a little more and we did have candy leftover. 

Offline Sally Gallagher

• Wrapcandy Member
  • Hello Everyone...
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 01:01:13 PM »
I did it for my son party and I had a adult standing there at all time because you know boys they get over wheal and get care away..

Offline Sonya New

• Elite Member
  • I Love Crafting!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 01:35:36 PM »
Click on the link I have provided. This is one that I did for my daughter when she graduated. Let me know if you have any other questions. Some of your answers:

2 oz. scoop
vellum bags or cello bags
1/2 lb. per person if bulk unwrapped
I also wrapped ALOT of other candy, as you can see in the pic, but I also went all out for her.

http://www.wrapcandy.com/forum/index.php?topic=57333.0

Hope this helps, you might also want to read some of the comments, as I talk about some of the things I used and did.

Sonya in TX

Offline Pam Wynne

• Wrapcandy Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 08:09:10 AM »
Sonya you must have spent a fortune on candy.  My daughter is getting married in October and I was thinking of doing something like this, maybe not quite as much candy.  Any estimate on how much you spent on just the candy alone?

Offline Tammy Hamrick

• Wrapcandy Member
  • Disabled Combat Veteran - Proud to have served!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 10:38:04 AM »
thank you ladies!!  this information is very helpful!!  I've looked through all the posts and pictures I could find!

cindi - did you have one per person on things like the wrapped SOE's, rolos, lifesavers...??  That would get to be really expensive!  We've sent out about 130 invitations...if everyone brings a spouse and their kids (and they all actually come!)  that's close to 400 people!  So how did you figure out what to put out?  I've read 1/2 lb per person....is that of each candy???

Sonya - I constantly refer back to your photos!  Everything turned out awesome!  But I can't tell what all you wrapped...I see you did a candy cake, kisses, starmints, mini lifesavers??(where did you find these....I've search all over the internet and can't find mini lifesavers), mintbooks with ??? inside, lifesavers, boxes of candy???, and something with tassles....?  I saw that you said "would be happy to share cost info, item amounts, directions, etc. with anyone interested"...could you please email the info?  hamrickdt@hotmail.com

thanks again ladies!!
tammy

Offline Sonya New

• Elite Member
  • I Love Crafting!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 10:40:20 AM »
Total for both sides was about $350 to $400, as I bought in bulk at Sams Club and online. But I also gave away enough bags filled to over 120 people, so if you do the math, it comes out to roughly $3.00 per person, and they got to pick what they wanted. I've done favors for brides and other party customers where they spent anywhere from $1.50 to $6.00 per person, so it was well worth it, and my daughter was happy.

Offline Doris Davis-Begley

• Wrapcandy Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 12:35:07 PM »
I used 4-5 oz scoops and used the take-out containers for the wedding that I did last year. The Bride bought all the candy and I can not tell you how much she paid. She also had chocolate covered pretzels and I did not do any wrappers for her. I shared a picture before

Offline Nancy Cunningham

• Wrapcandy Member
  • My Grandbabies---Mae and Kae
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 01:46:06 PM »
http://www.wrapcandy.com/forum/index.php?topic=76262.0

Picture of my son's wedding candy  buffet.

I bought WAYYYYYYYYY too big of bags, the small ones cello ones would be good!  Kids tended to DUMP huge amounts of candy and I barely had any left through the night.  I would suggest having an adult there too or a candy buffet sign welcoming them and asking if they take only what they can eat, and coming back at the end of the evening so everyone could have son treats...I am sure there is someone clever in here that could come up with a saying.

Though we sent 140 invites, but had 130 (infants to grandparents) attend, I only made 75 candy bars, 24 lifesavers, 24 rolo cigars, 24 tic tacs, etc.  Just enough to make it unique!  The rest I used candy in the 3 colors of the wedding.   Licorice was a HUGE hit, and it is cheap!

I bought my candy after Valentines Day, Easter and St Patrick's Day...because I needed green and pink!  LOL

air max 90 noir et jaune

SPAM
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 04:23:29 PM »
SPAM
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 03:57:08 AM by Ellen Hayes »

air max red and blue

SPAM
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 02:38:46 PM »
SPAM
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 03:56:45 AM by Ellen Hayes »

air max 90 black orange

SPAM
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 12:27:37 AM »
SPAM
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 03:56:19 AM by Ellen Hayes »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name: Email: