Solved Help with an etsy listing

Discussion in 'Friends Board / Lounge' started by roberta, Jul 3, 2018.

1. roberta [aka: Bobbi] Lifetime Elite Platinum Elite Plus 2017 Reunion

In the past I have just sold my candy bars as fully assembled. Then I had a few inquiries wanting me to sell them just the wrappers only so I did a custom listing for them. But now it seems like I'm getting a few more folks wanting just the wrappers only.

I wasn't sure if I should leave my current listing as-is, and then make a new listing for the same item but for wrappers only; or just how to do it; because if I make an additional listing for wrappers only, then I'm getting into more fees involved whenever they renew...so I went looking around at other folks' listings. Most of what I found have a choice listed in their one listing, where you choose "wrappers only" or you choose "wrappers + chocolate".

With that said, how the heck can you set up your shipping? Because unless I'm totally blind there is only one place to enter shipping. So if you set your shipping at the cost of shipping just the wrappers only, then if they choose fully assembled I would lose money because it would cost me more to ship them. But if you set your shipping at the cost of shipping them with the candy bars, then they would be spending too much on shipping if they choose wrappers only, and possibly not even buy because of that.

So I wanted to come here and see if any of you sell them in one listing with a choice of wrappers only or fully assembled, and if so, how the heck do you do it so that the shipping works right?

2. paulakw "P" Staff Member Staff

I am not sure I am understanding exactly how the shipping is set up for your etsy account ...but I would assume you can have different shipping rates for different products .... not everything has the same shipping weight/charges ...so it makes sense to me that you would have that option to change the shipping rate for each product

if it were me...I would make 2 separate listing for them ...rather than 1 listing with the options
    1 wrappers only and the second of the same wrapper but with chocolate included ...just make sure your product description clearly states if it is wrapper only or wrapper plus chocolate...
    and possibly post a link to the other product option so they can choose the option that works best for them

maybe others will have a better idea/answer ..........

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. OP
    OP
    roberta
    Contact

roberta [aka: Bobbi] Lifetime Elite Platinum Elite Plus 2017 Reunion

Thanks Paula. I do have a couple of listings right now for extra gum posted; 1 being for the topper and bag only; 1 being for the topper, bag, and gum included. So I have those separately, each having their own shipping. However, each time that they each post, it's .20¢ each; which of course isn't too much but after a time does add up. If they were in the same listing and folks could choose whether they want wrappers only, or fully assembled, then each time that it posts, it's only .20¢ (instead of .40¢ because it's 2 different listings).

There are several folks on there who have wrappers only, or fully assembled (wrappers + chocolate is how they have it), both in the same post; which is what I was hoping to do. But of course when you contact them to ask about it because I sell on there too, nobody will give me an answer. Since folks on here are always helpful with things, thought I would ask here.

Here's an example... Set of 12 - Navy Blue and Green Chevron Nautical Wedding Candy Bar Wrappers - Nautical Wedding Favorshttps://www.etsy.com/listing/267169224/set-of-12-navy-blue-and-green-chevron?ref=shop_home_active_6

But she has her shipping set; and I know darn well it has to cost more to ship 12 with the candybars included, than it costs to ship 12 wrappers only. So I was hoping someone here was doing it that way, and could tell me...[1] is there somewhere that I'm not finding, where you can set up 2 different shipping costs for the same listing; [2] do you set it for shipping the wrappers only and just take a loss when they order with the candy; [3] do you set it for shipping with the candy and they might not even order 'cause the shipping is too much for wrappers only; [4] do you set it somewhere in the middle; [5] do you raise the price of it with candy included so it helps cover the extra shipping costs; [6] or have I totally missed it all and you deal with it a different way? (This of course is for those who have both in the same listing).

Oh boy, I hate it when I can't explain what I mean. :(

4. paulakw "P" Staff Member Staff

no...you are explaining it fine ....but it sort of has to be something you decide for your self... which way you want to go with it ....
    maybe for a period of time...set it somewhere in the middle ... and then see which way you get the most orders for if you get mostly orders for the wrapper with the bar...then adjust your shipping accordingly

or ....check your per bar pricing against what others are charging and maybe you can raise the price of the bars and or wrappers and it will help cover the difference in shipping ? ...just a thought

5. OP
    OP
    roberta
    Contact

Thanks, appreciate the input. :)

It's more-less one of those things where I was hoping someone here did it, so they could let me know if I was missing where you can enter more than 1 shipping; because Lord knows I miss a lot of things, LOL.

6. paulakw "P" Staff Member Staff

don't feel bad...I think we all have those days o_O

7. karenskrafts Lifetime Elite Platinum Elite Plus 2017 Reunion

Roberta, I've had the same question. You can list multiple items with different prices, but not with shipping that I can find. Makes it hard because yes, the 20 cent listing fee does add up. Maybe they compensate for the shipping by adding it to their products??

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. OP
    OP
    roberta
    Contact

Thank you Karen, appreciate it. At least since you also can't find it, that shows me that it isn't just me, as I thought it might just be me missing it, LOL.

I'm thinking that yes they just add it to their products for the finished items; from looking at their prices. But of course I could be wrong, who knows.

Thanks again Paula and Karen for your input, greatly appreciated. :)

9. anamaron Lifetime Elite Platinum Elite Plus 2017 Reunion

Bobbi, what I do is tell in the listing I explain that shipping set for the the heaviest item (fully assembled candy bar wrappers) but if they order wrappers only I will give them a refund on shipping overages. And i say something like "I apologize for the confusion, but it's my only way to offer a variety of choices to my customers" Something like that. I can look at exact wording I use...but it's something like that and people understand and as long as you refund them, they are fine.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Love/ Like it Love/ Like it x 1
    • List
  10. OP
    OP
    roberta
    Contact

Thanks Ana, appreciate the input. :) I wasn't sure if doing it that way would work, 'cause I wasn't sure if it would chase away folks who wanted just the wrappers. But your comments help put that at ease, and thanks again.

11. anamaron Lifetime Elite Platinum Elite Plus 2017 Reunion

Many times people contact me telling me "shipping is outrageous" -- but once I explain they are good. I wish Etsy would allow us to offer multiple shipping choices...

12. OP
    OP
    roberta
    Contact

I've talked to them a few times about doing just that, like they have it set up for us to do the multiple items with different pricing. They did that, so they should be able to do the separate shipping too. But they always tell me that it can't be done. Harumph...it can, they just either don't know how to, or don't want to.

Most Liked Threads