Questions, questions

Discussion in 'Help with Forum or Sub Forums' started by karenw215, Aug 20, 2016.

1. karenw215 Lifetime Elite Platinum Elite Plus

Hi!
    I am so inspired by this site the shares are amazing. I work full time so I don't think I'll be starting a business. That being said life has also taught me we never really know what our future holds.
    I would like to make gifts and have a unique contribution for office gatherings. My daughter-in-law works at a before and after school program and there are my grand children and children so lots and lots of opportunities.
    It's figuring out where to start! I watched a couple of videos on the wrap candy YouTube and what I saw was great!
    What I have now is wrap candy version 7.1 so my first step would be upgrading to the latest pro version. I know if I see something I want to make and can't because I don't have the latest version will make me get it so ....
    I see plenty of templates and I think I saw a graphics reducer offered. I imagine that allows use of the same design, say a striped background and adjust it so it will look good on a big candy bar without being too "busy" and on a mini bar without the stripes being too big. Yet still have the same design to be a matching set. I hope someone tells me if I am on the right track.
    I also saw "over lays" on one of the videos. Making a solid background dots or lace. Is there a tutorial on how to make them? I would love to learn how and of course share. The versatility of the overlay has so many possibilities. My current computer is a little slow but I am saving for a new one. I can still create just not without the occasional restart or everything shutting down. Yeah...
    I am also curious what various weights of paper are used. I see some would work better on card stock, like the cupcake toppers and candy bar wrappers can be made with regular printing paper and I'm sure other options.
    I saw a crimper mentioned and I guess that makes the ends of a candy bar like the ones today without the foil. Is there a link to find out more about them?
    I am visiting my grandkids this weekend so I will be happily busy. I hope I haven't asked too many questions! I'm just creatively inspired and excited :)

If you read all this you're amazing! LOL

• Love/ Like it Love/ Like it x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  2. maxluv Staff Elite Plus

Hello... not sure i can answer everything but i'll give it a go. The upgrade gives you a few more options, think i have 7.3 Pro.. Had it for well a few years now. Not really sure about the graphic reducer.. Yes overlays are great adds to what would be a plain background, can give it some texture. For candy bar wrappers i use Epson presentation paper, makes the color on the wrapper look so much nicer, some use glossy, i use matte. For some things i use regular white cardstock but other times i used Epson presentation cardstock, same as the paper makes the colors pop great for presentation. Yes the crimper is used to do what is called a closed end wrapper. You can buy sheets of foil for the regular wrappers, wrap it in the foil and then put your wrapper on. Hope i have answered at least a few things.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. latitude LIFETIME MEMBER Elite

Vershell, thanks for helping out:)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. OP
    OP
    karenw215
    Contact

karenw215 Lifetime Elite Platinum Elite Plus

Thank you for answering maxluv I really appreciate it!

5. chriskari Rosa Herrera Lifetime Elite Platinum Elite Plus

Thank you for helping Vershell! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. wishfulthinker Roxy Staff Member Staff

thanks for helping out @maxluv.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. OP
    OP
    karenw215
    Contact

I have been spending some time trying to get ready. I am waiting for the Wrap Candy program to recognize me so I can get the full version. I put in a ticket and in the meantime I have other preparations so I am not stressing about that.
    I was able to find my paint shop pro disk so I now have that on my computer. I also have a "few" disks * cough-cough* that I now need to go through. I realize there are many images that will not be usable for creating shares on the forum but I figure they should be good to use for family and friends as long as I don't sell them.
    I am wondering how you keep track of your creations. So many are sets and the sets vary. I would imagine each set would have its own folder or zip file and saved in another folder according to season/occasion/holiday ect. I imagine blank templates would have their own folder.
    How do you keep track of what's in each set? There are the various sized candy wrappers, jars, lids, cupcake wrapper and the toppers the list is only limited by our imaginations.
    Do you keep an Excel sheet? I imagine that would work with filtering but it seems labor intensive. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    I'm sure once I get the program up and running more questions will come up. I hope it's okay if I keep them on this thread so I can reference them when I need to :)

Thanks!
    Karenw215

• List
  8. paulakw "P" Staff Member Staff

Karen...when you try to register...go to the top margin , find the "HELP" tab .....click on that and try to register from there...if that doesn't work ...let me know!

• List
  9. paulakw "P" Staff Member Staff

I may not be the best person to give advice on the next part of your question...but........
    as for filing/keeping track of graphics and wrappers and sets etc...I think we all have sort of developed our own organizational methods... everyone has their set ways of remembering things ...and just like everyones kitchen is organized to their needs/preference...so are our computer files ...what is organized to one person may be total chaos to another.

another thing you want to remember is to save the name of the designer along with the TOU for wrappers and graphics that you snag that others share...that way you can check TOU and give credit to the artist/designer etc....etc...

I have files for each of the holidays and have numerous files inside those files...such as backgrounds, graphics, sets from others, printables from others....and then have folders inside of those folders as well '

such as in my sets from others folder...I have folders for the individual people that shared.
    I also have separate files/folders for the graphics that I purchase... each site and each artist has their own file/folder...

this might be confusing and a bit much for some...but I am fortunate to have a really good memory so it works for me....o_O
    my sister is always dumbfounded at the number of files I have and how I know which file to look in for what I need...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. paulakw "P" Staff Member Staff

makes perfect sense to keep them all here!!

• Love/ Like it Love/ Like it x 2
    • List
  11. OP
    OP
    karenw215
    Contact

I am not so fortunate in the memory department. I know from when I worked with paint shop pro years ago how easily things got out of control. Especially on a downloading frenzy. So now I have numerous disks with images, fonts, masks, filters that are not organized very well.
    Fortunately I have been working in administrative for the past 10 years so my file organizing skills have improved. There are also smaller external hard drives now with lots of space and the cloud options.
    Thank you for reminding me to save the name of the designer and the TOU!
    I know how much hard work goes into creating and the credit is well deserved and the TOU are to be respected.
    I have learned that preparation can make or break any project and I want to do this right. That may mean devoting more time to organizing and less to creating in the beginning but in the long run it will pay off.

Thank you Paula!

Karenw215

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. paulakw "P" Staff Member Staff

were you able to get the program registered??

• List
  13. OP
    OP
    karenw215
    Contact

Not yet, I removed the 7.3 version. Now I can't find the 7.4. When go to the download page it is not there o_O

14. OP
    OP
    karenw215
    Contact

Now I have to download Net Framework 4 first. I didn't get that message before. I did clear this old clunker out so now I know Net Framework is necessary... I will let you know when I get it downloaded and I WILL get it downloaded :mad:

15. paulakw "P" Staff Member Staff

sent you a message

• List
  16. OP
    OP
    karenw215
    Contact

Thank you so much Paula for you help and patience. It s truly appreciated :)

I am up and running!

Now it's time for me to go to bed. Work tomorrow.

Nite

Karenw215

• Love/ Like it Love/ Like it x 2
    • List
  17. OP
    OP
    karenw215
    Contact

I noticed that there are many so many wonderful shares here and I believe a person should get credit for their work. I also noticed very few put their "name" in the zip files or their TOU.
    This leaves the person downloading in a pickle when, like myself, might be downloading from their phone to a cloud drive on the train ride to work. The zip has the post number for sure but when I use the share, do I put on the bag topper for example, made by Jane Doe on Wrap Candy? Am I then manipulating the graphic? I am still reading and preparing so I haven't created anything yet, if I start on a weeknight I'd never make it into work the next day LOL.
    A lot of work goes into creating even if it is enjoyable work. There are the frustrating times we push through to learn and our energy is our most precious resource. I want to give people credit. What are the ways a creator makes it easier for someone using their share to give them credit?

• List
  18. devcarrier **************** Lifetime Elite Platinum Elite Plus

Hi karenw125 !!!
    I read that you were looking for a graphics reducer or resizer. I use an awesome free program called PIXresizer. It is super easy to use, just load (open) any graphics file you want to resize or reduce, you can choose what dimensions you would like & can save it in a list of many different graphics file formats and choose save and now you have your graphic automatically reduced or resized into a new file!!. I hope this helps & enjoy your upgraded Wrapcandy, you will love it!!.
    ~Dev:)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. OP
    OP
    karenw215
    Contact

Thank you Dev!
    I will look it up :)

• List
  20. OP
    OP
    karenw215
    Contact

Okay, I have been thinking about how to keep track of downloads when I save them
    While this will require deleting what I've downloaded so far, being new it's not that big a deal.
    Since I download to my OneDrive, I will make a folder for each member with their name. The names of whose downloads I save as I go along. Not "every member" of course LOL. In that folder will be a Word document with their web sites TOU or any other information that could be important to share.
    I will keep a separate Excel spreadsheet that will track what the sets contain.

This is important to me mostly because it is (to me) the right thing to do.
    I have designs, graphics, fonts etc that are 25 years old and I have no idea who they belong to.
    I have also had my work taken and changed but still recognizable as mine and the person refused to take it down. So I know how it feels. Of course they changed it for the worse making it even more frustrating.
    I don't intend to sell anyone's work but I would probably use it as a gift. When I do I'll just send a private message first.
    Im just working things out and writing helps.

Thanks!
    Karenw215

• List
  21. OP
    OP
    karenw215
    Contact

I see lots of "nail files" can someone tell me what these are used for?

22. paulakw "P" Staff Member Staff

I am going to assume you are referring to the nail file "books"
    they are a "matchbook style holder that accommodates a 6 piece mini nail file strip
    there was just an order for the mini nail files sent in a couple months or so ago...so not sure when another order might be organized and sent in.
    LindaB used to order them for us as she could then order in bulk and get a better price for us...but she had some health issues last fall and took some time off...but never returned
    so Bobbi took over and did the research to find a company to work with and put together an order for us...but she recently was upset about some emails she said she received and she left the forum...but she did state she would still be willing to do the nail file order if people wanted her to
    so we are sort of in limbo as to being able to get another order out together...

however...if you are interested...sometimes people have extras on hand and might be willing to help you out with a few.

here is a link to one of the orders from the past...
    most recent (Bobbi's order)
    https://wrapcandy.com/ourcommunity/...der-for-you-please-post-when-received.154414/

an older order thread that Linda did...in the picture in her opening post she has a picture that has a small picture of the individual nail file strips ...has 6 smono nail files in a strip

and here is the link to the nail file book fun thread...where I have a illustration of how to assemble...sort of gives you an idea what they look like
    https://wrapcandy.com/ourcommunity/threads/nail-file-book-fun-thread.729/#post-9651

if you click on the picture ...it will take you to the slide show...you can then click on the arrow in the upper right corner to open in a new page and it will be larger so you can get better detail view
    or
    you can click on the file name and it takes you to that larger detailed view.

hope this helps!

• List
  23. OP
    OP
    karenw215
    Contact

They are a cute idea. Part of a pamper yourself basket for someone. I think I'll start off basic with supplies I have on hand.
    They would be great to sell to nail salons to give to their customers at the holidays. I'm just not there yet.
    I appreciate all the information!

• List
  24. OP
    OP
    karenw215
    Contact

Hi Paula,

There was mention of wrappers for the single serve lifesavers
    I was thinking that might be a good way to show coworkers that I do wrap candy.
    Put out a candy dish :)

Is there a template for them? Do you need the crimper? Are there templates for other small candies like the little butter toffee I think they are called Worther's.
    What kind of paper do you use for something that small so it didn't look mauled when done?
    On another note while I don't want to start buying before I start using what I have those nail files keep popping in my head.
    I was wondering how others used them.

I thought they would go nicely with a little travel kit along with Tic-Tacs, purse sized tissues, individually wrapped towelettes, a little note pad and pen. it could be as simple as that or an endless list depending on the trip or person.

I'm also thinking of making a cake topper. The small group I work with celebrates birthdays. One of the ladies bakes a cake. Since we don't have candles a cake topper might make a nice touch. I imagine a 5 inch circle would work. Wooden skewers would work to poke in the cake. I think I will try it this weekend. My first try with the new wrap candy :)

25. wishfulthinker Roxy Staff Member Staff

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List

Most Liked Threads