Silhouette cameo software question

Discussion in 'Cricut ~ Silhouette ~ Robo ~ Xyron' started by roberta, Apr 12, 2017.

1. roberta [aka: Bobbi] Lifetime Elite Platinum Elite Plus 2017 Reunion

I'm inquiring for some thoughts from those of you who started out using the free Silhouette software, and have since purchased their software.

I heard a couple of folks the other day somewhere that I was at, chatting about how their Cameo cuts better since they purchased the software. I was curious if any of you who purchased the software, have found that to be the case?

I didn't Purchase the software in the past, because I didn't think it was necessary for me for what I do. I basically just use regular printer paper and card stock with my Cameo. I just use it to cut out my wrappers (all types), so I don't do anything fancy with it; I have only used vinyl with it twice when a friend of mine was here to work with me on it, 'cause I just don't get that, LOL. Therefore I didn't think it was worth it for me to spend the funds on buying the software since I don't really do what they first said it was good to purchase for. OMG I hope I am making sense.

Anyway, if it is the case that it cuts better, then maybe it would be worth spending the money for after all?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and input!

2. sfandm Staff Member Elite Plus 2017 Reunion Elite Member

Good morning Roberta, I have had my Cameo for a little over a year now, and I have yet to purchase the software. I have cut out a LOT of Print and Cut stuff using basic cardstock I purchased either at Wally World or at Sams Club, and I have finally learned that when using the thicker cardstock, I need to "Double Cut" my design, which is an awesome tool to have.

I also finally learned how to cut out vinyl without the cutter going all the way thru both vinyl and backing, which was such a pain in the "you know where". I have heard that with the paid membership, updating of the software, there are a few perks. But I can't see spending any money on it at this point, IMO. Good luck, thought I would reply and bump it for those of us who have the upgraded software.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  3. latitude LIFETIME MEMBER Elite

Sonya, thank you for the info:)

4. OP
    OP
    roberta
    Contact

roberta [aka: Bobbi] Lifetime Elite Platinum Elite Plus 2017 Reunion

Thank you Sonya, I definitely appreciate the comments and input! :D

They were talking about how with the basic if they used SVG files, they didn't get as good of a cut as they did when they used DXF files. But with the designer edition, they got much better cuts with SVG files than they did with the basic edition. They also were saying they got *cleaner* and *faster* cuts with the SVG files, and with the designer edition; over using the SVG files with the basic edition.

So that's why I was curious if anyone here had used both the basic and the designer, and if so if anyone found that they were getting better cuts with the designer - such as they were saying with the cleaner and faster. Oh who the heck knows, I don't even remember ever using DXF files, LMAO.

5. nashsartwork Elite Plus 2017 Reunion Elite Member

This is really good to know. I have had some trouble with my print and cut. And I was wondering if I upgraded would they go away...but I think I am going to stick with you and not upgrade at this point. Thank you for the information!

6. sfandm Staff Member Elite Plus 2017 Reunion Elite Member

Morning Roberta, Happy Easter. I use the free software program called Inkscape to convert my svg's into dxf files for use in the program. I have never had a problem with the Print and Cut feature using dxf. I always double cut anything that has been printed on cardstock, and I always get clean cuts. Have a great day!!!

7. sfandm Staff Member Elite Plus 2017 Reunion Elite Member

You are most welcome, have a great Easter!!!

8. OP
    OP
    roberta
    Contact

Thank you Sonya (@sfandm). So you use dxf files instead of svg files, is that correct? Am I understanding also then that you get better cuts with dxf files than you do with svg files?

9. nashsartwork Elite Plus 2017 Reunion Elite Member

Thanks so much! You as well!

10. sfandm Staff Member Elite Plus 2017 Reunion Elite Member

I get great cuts with svg using my Cricut, but I use dxf for my Sil Cameo, because I did not want to pay for the software every month, to me they are about the same, I have learned thru trial and error how to set the cut settings on my Cameo, as I don't like using what they say you should use, if that makes sense. There really is no difference in svg vs. dxf just that different software programs read files formats differently. I hop this isn't too confusing, lol

11. OP
    OP
    roberta
    Contact

Thank you. :)

12. wishfulthinker Roxy Staff Member Staff

thanks for the info. Gonna have a look at inkscape a bit later.... looks like it might be interesting

13. nashsartwork Elite Plus 2017 Reunion Elite Member

I found the most amazing program that turns the studio files into svg files so that there is no need to upgrade. If anyone is still interested let me know and will give you the info!

14. kpshira Lifetime Elite Platinum Elite Plus

I would be interested in trying it. I now have a laser engraver and would like to use it with some of the silhouette files.

15. nashsartwork Elite Plus 2017 Reunion Elite Member

16. paulakw "P" Staff Member Staff

thanks for posting the info Elizabeth ...I am sure many will find it to be very helpful!

17. latitude LIFETIME MEMBER Elite

Elizabeth, thank you for the info and link:)